Senior Backend Engineer (Kotlin)
Fourthwall gives creators the freedom to focus on creating.
We enable creators (YouTubers, Instagrammers, Podcasters, etc. -- anyone with a large online audience) to make money by opening beautiful, fully customized online shops where they can sell merchandise, accept donations, and offer memberships. Our mission is to make the money-making side of content creation easy and let creators focus on what matters: Creating great content and interacting with their fans.
Our culture is built around the philosophy of putting our customers, the creators, first. If you are talented, hardworking, and love helping others, we would love to talk to you about joining our team!
Founded by Will Baumann (prev. CEO/founder of SmartReceipts + Amazon) and Walker Williams (prev. co-founder/CEO of Teespring), Fourthwall is backed by over $5M in funding from Initialized (Alexis Ohanian) and Lightspeed (Jana Messerschmidt).
About the role
We’re looking to hire a senior backend engineer to join our team in our Los Angeles office. The ideal candidate has substantial experience with writing functional code for Spring-based JVM apps.
You’ll also work alongside our incredible 20-strong engineering team, most of whom are based out of our office in Poznan, Poland. Our two-office approach (LA and Poznan) also means that you’ll rarely, if ever, have to be on-call after hours.
Technologies in a nutshell
Kotlin, Spring, PostgreSQL, PubSub, Ruby on Rails, Typescript, React, Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes, Terraform, Istio, Clean Architecture.
What you will do
- Design and deliver the next generation of solutions for the creator economy
- Deploy high-quality code in a “clean architecture” style to deliver new e-commerce features
- Develop highly scalable architectures that can scale from ~0 to 20k concurrent users in under a minute (based on creator drops)
- Interview and mentor other talented developers to grow out your team here in the LA area
What you likely have
- Expert knowledge of Kotlin, Java, or Scala
- Extensive experience with both relational and NoSQL databases
- Deep experience in working in a collaborative environment
- Deep experience with unit, integration, and e2e testing
- Experience with interviewing, hiring, and growing a team
- Experience in building and scaling architecture of large applications
- Experience with securing large applications
- Ability to write “self-documenting” code
- Experience in working with tools such as GitLab, Slack, and JIRA.
- (Preferred) Familiarity with Kubernetes, GCP, and Istio service meshes
- (Preferred) Familiarity with frontend technologies like React and Typescript
- Comfort in a remote environment, working across multiple time zones
- An interesting and demanding project that you have a real influence on
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Maternity & Parental leave
- Flexible PTO
- Work in a team of experienced experts and amazing people
- Equipment tailored to your requirements
It's also worth noting that we encourage anyone to apply that may be interested, even if you feel you don't meet 100% of the qualifications above. This is our first time hiring for these roles and there is a good chance we may have overlooked, under-counted, or over-indexed on some of these qualifications. So, please — apply. You know what they say about missing shots...
We are an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.